REVIEW: NXT Takeover [R]Evolution

The latest special event for WWE's NXT delivered some good matches, even if the name still has me scratching my head. I mean, I get it. I understand what they were going for. It just comes of as "meh".

Kevin Owens VS. CJ Parker
Anyways, the night opened with the debut of Kevin Owens (former Kevin Steen) and he showed the NXT crowd, and everyone who hadn't seen him before, what he brings to the table. Though, from the reaction he got when he came out, it seem like everyone was already on board with Kevin Owens. It was a good first outing for Owens, not delivering too much, but just enough to wet the fans appetite for more. An interesting spot came when CJ Parker delivered an open hand to the face of Owens, and it busted him open and actually broke his nose. It didn't stop Owens though, who just went with it and finished the match with a pop-up power bomb for the win. Nice debut for Kevin Owens.

Vaudevillians VS Lucha Dragons (c)
I don't really have a whole lot to say for this match. It was good and entertaining, but I'm not especially into the Vaudevillains. The Lucha Dragons look promising, especially Kalisto, so I'm definitely interested to see what else he can bring to the table after their tag team run is over. Enjoyed the match for what it was, but didn't really wow me. The Lucha Dragons retained their titles.

Tye Dillinger VS Baron Corbin
This could easily be called a squash match, and it was. I think I'm in the minority, but to me Tye Dillinger looks like he could be an asset, but he's easily beaten in matches, that it looked like he's an enhancement talent for NXT. Corbin has a good look and he's got something there, easily defeating Dillinger in under a minute. It looks like they are setting up a feud with Bull Dempsey though, as Dempsey was in the audience and gave a mocking/antagonizing round of applause after Corbin won.

The Ascension VS Hideo Itami & Finn Balor
I think I'm in the minority, but I've never been that big on the Ascension, though I was looking forward to this match to see Finn Balor and Hideo Itami in action. They're both wrestling veterans and have been in action on NXT already, but with this being a special event, everyone looks to go big and I wanted to see what they can do. Balor's opening was outstanding and definitely a spectacle to behold to anyone who hadn't seen him on the indies as Prince Devitt. The lighting, along with his face painting, and his movement, was a show in and of itself. Super Awesome! The match delivered the goods and in the end Hideo and Balor won. For a moment, it looked like Hideo was setting up for the GTS, the move CM Punk borrowed from him and made famous, and when the crowd saw it, they knew what was coming and cheered loud. Unfortunately it didn't happen, but it'll be interesting to see if he starts to use the move in future matches.




Sasha Banks VS Charlotte (c)
NXT women continue to impress and I really like what Sasha Banks is showing. Some new innovative moves. This was a great match and had it not been for the Neville/Zayn match, I would vote for this match as match of the night. Charlotte is better than almost every diva on the main roster and Sasha Banks isn't far behind, if she isn't there already. I just hope when these these two get to the main roster, they are given the amount of time they are in NXT to really show everyone how good they are. For a moment I thought Sasha Banks was going to come out as the upset winner, but Charlotte pulled through and retained the title. Definitely looking forward to more from both.

Sami Zayn VS Adrian Neville (c)
I cannot say enough good things about this match and these wrestlers. Sami Zayn has been hot for what seems like forever, and Adrian Neville just delivers killer moves after killers moves. These two together bring the fire and this match has to be one of the best NXT matches since the shows inception. And I already thought Sami Zayn and Cesaro brought the house down with the first Takeover special, so that just goes to show how awesome I think Zayn is. And the drama was great, with Zayn playing up to the theme they were delivering, him being a nice guy, wearing his heart on his sleeve. It was awesome. And in the end, Zayn comes out victorious. Once he hits the main roster, I really hope the people who don't watch NXT embrace him, because that would seriously suck for him to be relegated to squash matches that don't last more than a few minutes.

And then came the ending of Takeover REvolution (or however you spell it). Kevin Owens, and the rest of the locker room, come out to cheer on Zayn, after winning and everyone is partying. The night was going to end on such a high note. Then Owens turned on Zayn and power bombed him on the side of the ring apron, outside of the ring. The show ended with William Regal and refs coming down to assist Zayn, who was out. A program of Zayn against Owens is sure to be awesome and I look forward to it.


No comments:

Post a Comment